Sunday, June 15, 2008

Who am I?

So I've had this reoccurring thought over the past couple of years....

This all started in the fall of 2005 while I was taking a Philosophy of Language class. I started thinking about my bilingual friend who once told me that he "thinks" in
spanish (his native language). I had never thought about it before but I would have to say that I think english. One may think that this of no interest of consequence but I don't think so. So many times in different classes I ran into occasions where the teacher or even the book pointed out that the words that I'm reading were in fact not accurately translated. WHAT? Seriously. Does this mean that the words I'm reading don't actually convey the meaning intended by the author? Is it just the best translation could provide? How useful is this?

There are words of which I have no knowledge or comprehension. Does this limit the thoughts and types of thoughts that I have? Am I incapable of having the same thoughts as someone who speaks a different language? Logically that seems true. How could this be?

Am I limited by the language I hold? In all reality this doesn't surprise me at all. We all have our special filters through which we see ourselves and the world. Why would it surprise me that I'm incapable of having the same thoughts as someone who speaks a different language? I am incapable of sharing thoughts with someone who speaks the same language!

To me it seems that the purest form of experience comes as an infant. There is no basis of comparison for a baby. No old experiences for new ones to measure up too. It is experience at its best. From then on, however, we learn to "compartmentalize" our thoughts and experiences. We do this through our parents, language, society, peers and everything else at the same time. This is how we limit ourselves.

So how can I know what the truth is when I can't see anything clearly? I view life through my filter. How can I even know who I am? I see myself through the same psychological mess that I see the rest world.

So, yes, our thoughts and comprehension is limited... but we are all capable of the unlimited. We just have to see.

Only when the filter is gone can we see anything for what it is....

No comments: